1. Design and submit a résumé considering all the things we’ve discussed in this class in regards to typographic hierarchy, spacing, proper characters and fine typesetting. Focus on both Design + content.
2. Incorporate a personal logotype/identity to include on your resume. It can be clean, simple and straightforward but the only restriction is that the solution cannot be simply re-created with set type (which means it must have a minimum of customization).
See Résumé resources here.
Recipe Design & Zine/Booklet Design
Recipes are a great design/typographic challenge in terms of need for proper information hierarchy and concern for readability since this information get such intense reference.
- Bring in your favorite recipe (typed up)
recipe must include:
— list of ingredients (at least 5)
— additional directions
>> Add your name and recipe title to this doc:
2. Design two different versions/solutions (as spreads): one straightforward with fabulous typesetting and excellent use of the page spate/grad) and one interpretive. Details tbd.
>> 1. page size: 1/2 letter (8.5 x 5.5 in.) // spread size: 8.5 x 11 in.
>> 2. use provided IND file template (in Dropbox)
>> 3. required type: use only the Univers & Adobe Garamond families.
>> 4. deliberate visual cues/indicators for increasing readability of direction/steps
>> 5. all must exhibit clear hierarchy of information & use of an organization system for page composition*
* see layout tips section of your mega-handout
3. Keeping in mind important PROCESS WORK is in the class, generate (and archive) various design iterations of each of the (2) versions, which should include experiments that are:
— off the x/y axis (the overall composition)
— using typography as both form + language
— *different* solutions for #4 above
3. Design a cover/title page and table of contents* with given content.
>> you can use these to compile your own copy of our zine, but I may choose from all your designs to pick which to use for our official class design copy,
* use dummy copy/numerals until we have final pagination.
4. We will work together to create a class recipe zine/pub.
……What will name it?…..
Examples of using typography as both form & language:
(both in print and for the web)